Date Event
1953 First Department Founded

Department of Extra-Mural Studies was founded in Makerere.

1956 Resident Tutor for Kenya is appointed.

This was three years after the formation of the department in Makerere University

1963 Responsibilities transfered to University of Naitobi

Responsibility of organising the extra-mural studies in Kenya is transferred to a new Extra-Mural Department of the then University College, Nairobi.

1967 Another arm established

Establishment of the Correspondence Course Unit as another arm of the institute.

1983 College status awarded

Institute of Adult Studies is accorded College status and became the College of Adult and Distance Education.

1985 College elevated to Institute

The government accepts the recommendations of the University Council that elevated the three divisions of the College into Institute of Extra Mural Studies, School of Distance Studies and the Institute of Adult Studies

1988 College renamed renamed College of Education and External Studies (CEES)

College was re-organised, re-structured and renamed College of Education and External Studies (CEES)



References
    • http://ems.uonbi.ac.ke/node/3
    • http://ems.uonbi.ac.ke/node